Online Payday Loans for Bad Credit
Individuals who have bad credit scores or who have struggled with their credit ratings in the past may have difficulty finding lending options or new lines of credit. And while payday loans can prove more flexible than other loans from traditional banks and credit unions, there are few limitations that borrowers should keep in mind.
Payday loans are short-term loans that are taken out against a borrower’s paycheck. This means that borrowers are typically required to pay them back at the time of their next paycheck, in full, plus interest.
Short-term loans can provide financial relief for those who are struggling to make ends meet between paydays. To this end, companies and lenders who offer “payday loans for bad credit”, “payday loans with no credit check”, or “bad credit payday loans with guaranteed approval” can be appealing to borrowers. But such claims are false as lenders will, in fact, perform a credit check on applicants to determine loan approval.
Who Can Apply?
U.S. citizens and permanent residents who are 18 years of age or older can apply for a payday loan online. The application process can take anywhere from 15 to 60 minutes. While requirements will differ from lender to lender, most will require the following:
- Proof of identity, age, and address
- Bank account information
- Employer and income information
- Social security number
As noted above, lenders will consider an applicant’s creditworthiness as well as their debt-to-income ratio to determine loan eligibility. Applicants with poor credit scores can still apply to see if they are approved.
How Long Does The Process Take?
While the loan application process can be fairly quick, funds are not deposited into an approved individual’s bank account until at least two to three business days.
Borrowers and lenders typically sign an agreement that details loan terms, conditions, and debt repayment schedule.
What Are Online Payday Loans For?
Online payday loans can be used for a variety of emergency cash needs. These include:
- Home repairs
- Emergency new appliances
- Medical bills
- Avoiding penalties or late payments
- Vet bills
Borrowers should note that payday loans typically carry high-interest rates and rollover fees that can make them expensive. To this end, individuals should only use such loans for short-term cash needs and not monetary situations that might require long-term solutions.
In fact, reports have found that more than 80% of payday loans are rolled over and that 70% of borrowers use their loans on recurring expenses, rather than on short-term emergency cash needs. In some cases, borrowers are forced to take out additional loans to pay for previous ones. Experts advise that borrowers only take out a payday loan if they are able to afford it.
Bad Credit Rating? You Still Have Options
Payday loans for consumers with poor credit scores may not be the most viable option. Those seeking alternate opportunities can consider the following:
- Federal assistance: The U.S. government offers a number of benefits to those who are unemployed. These include the Short-Term and Long-Term Disability Insurance which provides disability insurance to those who are unable to work due to an illness or being injured.
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) can also be useful to those experiencing temporary financial difficulties. The program can provide food, housing, home energy, child care, and job training to families until they are able to sustain themselves.
- Local assistance: Some local churches and credit unions offer financial assistance and coaching to residents who are facing monetary difficulties.
- Friends and family: Borrowing money from trusted friends and family members is an option for those who might not want to operate within financial institutions.
- Cutting discretionary spending: Experts advise that consumers save money by cutting unnecessary spending expenditures, in order to avoid opting for shorter-duration funding.